TN Visa

The TN Non-Immigrant classification permits qualified citizens of Canada and Mexico temporary entry into the United States to engage in business activities at a professional level.

Among the types of professionals who are eligible to seek admission as TN Non-Immigrants are accountants, engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists, and teachers. You may be eligible for TN Non-Immigrant status, if:

  • You are a citizen of Canada or Mexico
  • Your profession qualifies under the regulations
  • The position in the United States requires a NAFTA professional
  • You have a prearranged full-time or part-time job with a U.S. employer (but not self-employment – see documentation required below)
  • You have the qualifications of the profession

Eligibility Criteria for Canadian Citizens

If you are a Canadian citizen, then you are not required to apply for a visa with a U.S. consulate or file a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).  You can request admission as a TN Non-Immigrant at a U.S. port of entry, and you must provide the following documentation:

  • Proof of Canadian citizenship
  • Letter from your prospective employer detailing items such as the professional capacity in which you will work in the United States, the purpose of your employment, your length of stay, your educational qualifications
  • Credentials evaluation (if applicable)

If you are eligible following inspection by a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer, then you will be admitted as a TN Non-Immigrant.  Form I-94, Arrival/ Departure Record, will be evidence of your admission.

Eligibility Criteria for Mexican Citizens

Mexican citizens are required to obtain a visa to enter the United States as a TN Non-Immigrant; you are not required to file directly with the USCIS. You should apply for a TN visa directly at a U.S. embassy or consulate in Mexico.

Period of Stay

The TN Visas allows up to a three year period of stay. If you wish to stay beyond this period you may seek an extension.

Family of TN Visa Holders

Spouses and children under the age of 21 may be eligible for TD Non-Immigrant status. They must demonstrate a bona fide spousal or parent-child relationship to you.

Canadian Citizen’s Dependents

Spouses and children of a Canadian citizen do not need visas, but they must provide the following documentation at the port of entry:

  • Proof of Canadian citizenship
  • Proof of relationship to the TN Non-Immigrant, such as a marriage certificate or birth certificate
  • Photocopies of the TN Non-Immigrant’s entry documents

Mexican Citizen’s Dependents

Spouses and children of a Mexican citizen must apply for the TD Non-Immigrant status at an American embassy or consulate.

Dependents Following to Join

If any spouse and children are following to join the TN Non-Immigrant, then they must show a valid Form I-94 as proof that the TN Non-Immigrant is maintaining his or her TN Non-Immigrant status.

Robinson Kirlew & Associates can help you navigate the process. Contact us at