The K-1 Fiancée Visa

The K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa allows a U.S. citizen to bring his or her foreign fiancé(e) to the U.S. to get married and then adjust status to Permanent Resident (Green Card).

Fiancés and fiancées of a U.S. citizen qualify for the K-1 visa. An application is filed with the USCIS on behalf of the fiancé(e), who will then be interviewed at a U.S. Consulate abroad. The petitioner must prove there is a bona fide intent to marry, that it is both legally and practically possible, and that they met the foreign fiancé(e) within two years of filing the petition. If the visa is granted, the fiancé(e) then has 6 months in which to enter the U.S. and must then marry the U.S. citizen within 90 days of entry. After marrying, the newly married foreign spouse, again with the help of the U.S. citizen spouse, would ordinarily file for “Adjustment of Status”, a process in which they convert their K-1 fiancé(e) status to that of “Lawful Permanent Resident Status”, commonly referred to as a ‘green card’. This initial residency status is conditioned on the couple staying married if, at the time permanent resident status is granted, the couple has been married for less than two years. The conditional status may be removed after two years by filing a Petition to Remove Conditions on Permanent Residency on form I-751.

Whether your loved one is already in the U.S. or is still in another country, we can assist with every step of the immigration process in order to ensure your success. CONTACT US with any questions you may have or to get started with the process. We have extensive experience with K Visas, consular practice and adjustment of status.